Thursday, February 20, 2014

Fudgy Brownies

I've finally found a brownie recipe that I like! I didn't get a picture of the end result, but figured I would share the recipe with you none the less. I added some marshmallow cereal pieces to the top of the brownies about half way through the baking process to give it a little something extra. My only concern with doing this was I didn't have them pre-sorted, so as I was trying to rush and dig them out of the cereal I didn't have enough time to get as many as I wanted to. Even with waiting until half way through the baking process, the marshmallows slightly over baked and became weird. So next time I think I will wait a bit longer to put them on. Anyhow, here is the recipe I used:

Ingredients:
10 Tblspns unsalted butter (not necessarily at room temp)
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup + 2 Tblspns unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 rounded tspn salt
1 tspn vanilla extract
2 lrg eggs - cold
1/2 cup flour

Directions:

Position an oven rack in the lower third of the oven & heat to 325°. Grease 8×8 pan (or line with parchment paper, leaving a slight overhang for easy release).

Add water (1-2 inches) to a medium saucepan, heat until barely simmering. In a medium, heat safe bowl, directly on top of the simmering saucepan of water, combine butter, sugar, cocoa powder, & salt. (If the bottom of the bowl touches the water you'll need to pour some water out). Stir mixture occasionally as the items heat up until the butter melts and the whole mix is quite warm/hot (it will look gritty which is fine, it will get smooth later on).

Remove the bowl from the saucepan and set to the side for 3-5 mins, letting it cool down to just warm.

Stir in the vanilla with a large spoon or spatula.  Then add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each. When the batter looks thick, shiny & well blended,  add the flour and stir until fully incorporated. Beat 40-50 additional strokes, the batter will be quite thick. (If you want to add nuts or something, nows the time to stir them in)

Pour into prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes.  Check with toothpick, insert it in the center, it should come out clean. Cool completely before removing from the pan.

While these brownies tasted devine, they fell apart when I was cuting them up. I think I under baked them just a bit, making them messy to eat. I also used the wrong size pan which made them super thin. A small square pan (as the recipe calls for) would have been ideal. All in all I give them two thumbs up and will definitely make them again!

No comments: